Saturday, June 9, 2007

First Week in Pemba...wow

So...it is about the fourth day since I arrived in what some would call an airport last Tuesday. Forgive the cliche...but I stumbling to find words to desribe this experience so far. It is a dangerous place for me as well as the most exciting place I have ever been. It is dangerous because I am reaping all of the dangerous prayers I have ever prayed...like, "Lord, show me how my culture has allowed me to justify my complacency and apathy...and how the western paradiagm creates arrogance." God is ripping this all apart and showing me my false comfort. It is painful, but the Holy Spirit is doing it because He is kind and I asked for it. God is also showing me what it is like to really give everything you have for Him. It is the most exciting place I have ever been because the ministry I am with is walking in the power of God and in Intimacy with Him. They are going out in the "Bush" and planting churches in villages that have never heard of the name of Jesus. They are also bringing first aid and fresh water and are loving the culture without changing it. They are also seeing the dead raised (60 recorded), blind eyes and deaf ears opened. It is the full Gospel...it is such a testimony to our God. They are praying about buying a boat to take the Gospel to nearby islands that have never heard the gospel. I am sure there are many places like this, but this is the first time I have experienced it. Our schedule is class from 830 until 12 and then 130 until 5 and then dinner and on to playing with the orphans. Class is studying missions, and Intimacy with God right now...we will be going on to other things as the summer progresses. I start off my day at 530 worshipping with the Mozambican pastors which is getting my white butt dancing a little bit...which as some of you know...I could do a little more of. I then fall on my face because without God working through me, I will die here. Most of the day chidren are coming up to you with a face that says, "Love me." In my own strength, I do not have enough...praise God for showing me His Love...thanks you so much for praying for me...I feel lifted up...bless you. -Steve p.s. sorry for all the grammar mistakes....internet time is not long...also I feel God is telling me to stay on the base as much as possible so I will only be writing a blog every other Saturday...I will also be checking comments...so please tell me how you are doing and how I can be praying for you. Peace

13 comments:

Wesley said...

steve,
I loved every word you wrote. I can't even imagine the joy God has over you. I read your email and your blog, and both times i felt crazy stirring in me. We are praying you see His face; we pray you fall continually in love with Him, forget everything else. Without Him everything is pointless. I pray you know Him and allow yourself to be known by Him. A prayer that i can't stop praying is that you would walk as Jesus walked: He only saw what God was doing and He joined Him. It is that simple, yet we complicate it to the point of feeling defeated.

LAURA said...

STEVE!!!!

YIPPEE!! Your heart is incredible, brother, and your words already possess something different, which is cool. It is authority, maturity, hunger...I can't put my finger on it, but it is good. And I can stinkin' picture you there! Waking up to those precious pastors worshipping is the best way to wake up. And if anyone could get Steve Soars dancing, it is the Iris pastors and the children. I will pray for His strength to fill you as the kids constantly want to sit with you and play. They are so precious and they have so much to 'say'. ENJOY EVERYTHING and know that we think of you constantly and are lifting you up. Your email made me want to join a ticket now and sign up for the school! AHH. Can't wait to hear more whenever you can write. We love you and will be praying. You asked to be desperate and we all know that your heart longs already for Him so much..but there is always more and it delights His heart that you want it. Watch out!!! :)

carol said...

Steve, We have been reading your blog. I am glad you got there safely. It sounds like a very exciting and eye opening experience. It is a long way from Pennsylvania, in so many ways. Keep on dancing! Lots of Love, Carol, Dave, Bryan and Sarah

Unknown said...

hey man, the trip sounds like it is and will be amazing. i will be praying for you and for the ministry. i will pray that God's kingdom will be raised up and the people of Mozambique will be able to enjoy the peace that can only be found through knowing Jesus. I can't imagine what this experience is like for you physically, emotionally, pschologically, etc. but i will be praying that you find your confidence in the miracles that God works through you. trus and abide in Him. i know you will see Gods wonders. "blessed ar the pure of heart for they shall see God."
- mick

Oye said...

Hi Steve,
I am proud of you. Now u sound like a rugged evangelist. I believe God is speaking to you in so many ways. Let every word sink in and make use of every opportunity you have. God will deposit so many things in you.
Please let me know when you get back to west chester I want to be one of the first set of people to tap the anointing.
I thought you were in Zimbabwe so I sent a mail to a friend in zimbabwe to look out for you. I know God has prepared so many people there to take care of you.
God be with you!

Pastor Scott said...

Steve,
It all sounds amazing man. God's work is always so immediate and stunning in new frontiers. I'm printing your messages for the church to read and hopefully some of them will write back. We are remembering you every week.
God Bless, Scott

Terri said...

Steve,
Amazing, awesome, remarkable, incredible!!! Words don’t come close to describing what I think when I read your blog. You are daring to tread where few have walked, up the heights of the mountain, in the EXTREME altitudes of the Lord. Let Him be your Oxygen. I know the Lord is going to reveal Himself to you in outrageously new and miraculous ways!!! I want to be there so bad with you!! Know that you are in my prayers and all of our prayers daily. Hang on to the promises of Is 43:1-4.

Rose said...

Wow Steve, sounds like an amazing opportunity that the Lord is giving you. I can just picture you holding these kids. Pour yourself out - God will fill you back up. I will lift you in prayer.
Rose

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hey Steve. i know i just wrote to you, but i wanted to letyou know that today, June 16, i asked Liz to marry me and we are now engaged!! i'm really excited. i didn't know if you were checking your email, but i thought i should let you know regardless. anyway, i'll be praying for you and God's kingdom!! the residents say hi.
-mick

Dad said...

Dear Steve, I'm sooo proud of you!!I remember when you and your brother were little kids,..."Daddy, do we have to go to church? It's so boring!! I always knew that God was watching over you, and had something very special for you. As you wake each day while there and for the rest of your life, there will be new discoveries about yourself and the world around you. I pray that the Jesus you have come to know will bless you and your new experiences. You have become a man with purpose, and I'm very grateful to have watched you grow. I Love you, son!! Dad PS, It was great to talk with you on Fathers' day!!

shane d. said...

Steve, forget what everyone is saying-pack your belongings and come home ASAp..George Bush need you for his might army of Western Crusaders!! Just joking.I miss you already (not really sure why though). Way to answer the call..."look for nothing, but see everything". Your words are encouraging. Much Love, Peace
Shane

MLJ said...

Hey Steve! What an awesome time in your life. I'm praying that God will fill you with His Holy Spirit and set you on fire for His Kindom.

Thank you for sharing the experience. I'm anticipating many more awesome testimonies to come.

Mary Lou