Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The first two weeks

I hope this finds you all well and having a good summer. Have a St. Arbucks iced coffee and take a bike ride to the rope swing for me…two things I sort of miss. I guess for now I will have to have rice and beans and go swimming in the Indian Ocean…not a bad compromise, less the rice and beans. Since last time I wrote…four days into the trip…I could write a small novel on what God is doing in my heart and in Mozambique. But to save your face from passing out on the keyboard from boredom I will just share a few things. What I love about this culture is their emphasis on relationship. The western world is very focused on time and on how the process is going to lead to accomplishing the goal. The Mozambicans are much more interested in the process and the journey. For example, when the outreach team is going to a remote village and gets stuck in the mud. Many of the western missionaries are motivated to do what it will take to get the truck out of the mud to get to the village. The Mozambicans turn their energy to the process of getting the truck out and the community effort that it involves. One more example would be…if a Mozambican is walking to work and meets someone on the way, the walk is now about connecting with this new friend and less about walking to work. The consequence is that the man might have been walking to finish your roof, so you learn not to have expectations on when things will get done. There are many things the cultures could learn from each other. Beyond learning about the culture, learning Portuguese, and connecting with the people here, God is continuing to show me my heart toward him and to others. Childlike faith and humility starts to make sense when you do not understand the language, the culture, and all of your comfort of “home” is taken away. For example, this past weekend I decided to walk in town (about two miles) to meet some village people and get to know how they live. On the way in town, we saw a drunken man passed out on the ground. We stopped and got him up and prayed for his addiction (he has no family and drinks all day) as we were doing this, the whole village gathered around us to see what we were doing. (Luckily, a boy offered to interpret for us) As we were getting up, a mother and a child approached us with her child. She was very sick and her child had the same problem. She had no money to afford the hospital and there are not government programs and social agencies to help people in her situation. She came to us in utter desperation as if to say, “Do you really carry any good news for me?” It made me think of the way we argue theology and manage “God” in the west… while the whole world is watching with the same question, “Do you really have any good news.” So back to the woman…we prayed for her and her child and we went away praising God for showing us, yet again, our total need his wisdom and ministry. I love not having any other option or plan other than God showing up. One other thing I will mention that is wrecking me is Heidi’s teaching on missions and evangelism. I am used her preaching and seeing the power of God flood through her message, but so far it has been very laid back and practical. Her primary message is that we must move with the rhythm of God’s heart for others and be just ourselves...something that I could probably meditate on for the rest of my life. Anyways I feel like I am rambling…this experience is getting better everyday and I still cannot believe I am here. Thank You all for being a part of my life and being interested in what God is doing in Mozambique…I have not been on an extensive outreach yet…but the stories that are coming back from them are beyond comprehension…eyes, ears and backs being healed….hundreds coming to Jesus from a culture of oppression and corruption…it is really good stuff…but it hasn’t been made real yet. Bless you!!!

8 comments:

Ryan said...

Steve,

I miss you buddy! Thanks for an awesome wedding and everything you did, you were an incredible best man! Iloilo was awesome and much of what you are saying about paradimgs(?) is a lot of what I got and I got to preach at their Sunday service, it was awesome. I am using your bowl every morning for my cereal and praying for you a ton. Got one more chapter to go in Hiedi's book and it is incredible. I know that God will crush you there and render you dependent on him yet completely able to always call upon his name because of that dependence. Bring his kingdom there and then bring it back here, we got a lot of work to do in WC!!!! Miss you, Lauren says hi also!!!

hannah said...

if you get this and you miss me, then i miss you too. if you havn't thought about me yet forget about it. i hate you too. jk. let me just remind you what summers like here. maximum fighting all day, because there's no school. constantly asking "how many books do you have" for the summer reading club, watching tv 24/7 and waking up early to see the sun rise (and play video games) keeping the house decorated for 3 months cause all the birthdays are right in a row, and creating our own summer camps to entertain each other and our neighbors. it also means being available to babysit...and being called A TON....and making $$$$$$$$, and having lemonade stands and buying alot of stuff. fyi, right now i'm a living survivor of living with caele, because she has the chicken pox. it's terrible. and we cant have any friends over cause the house is contaminated!
ps. mickey and liz got engaged the day before fathers day at everheart park, and the high schoolers were comissioned to ecuador at church, but my dad had to stay home with caele. well, if you don't get this i've just wasted 10 minutes of my time, and typing that was pointless. but if you do, remember that i love u!

Courtney said...

Steve,
It's so wonderful to hear all that you are learning and all the ways that God is stretching and challenging you! I can't wait to hear your stories and more ways that God is drawing you out! I know He's got so much for you just around the corner!!!

P.S. Sorry about the rice and beans, remind me not to have you over to eat with Sarah and me...At least not when we are going through one of our stages where we eat a lot of it :-)

Unknown said...

Steve,
It sounds like an adventure! I will pray that God keeps you in good health - no malaria or parasites or anything like that! I hope you write a lot on this blog! Keep us posted. I am curious about the group you are with - Heidi Baker- especially if you see anything that is "beyond comprehension" in real life! Things are going well at Cornerstone - about 50 people came to the Healing Room training on Friday evening and Saturday. Most of them were women. At Tuesday Evening prayer, I think there were over 50 people, and we prayed over the 14 youth who are going to Ecuador starting this weekend. We also prayed that we would "stay at the Lord's table", Tracy's teaching last Sunday, and for the finances of the church. May God's good news become more real and tangible to us and to everyone - especially to that poor sick woman who asked "Do you really carry any good news news for me?"

1 Kings 17:22-24 (New Living Translation)
New Living Translation (NLT)
Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004 by Tyndale Charitable Trust. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers.


1 Kings 17:22-24 (The Message)
The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson



21-23 Three times he stretched himself out full-length on the boy, praying with all his might, "God, my God, put breath back into this boy's body!" God listened to Elijah's prayer and put breath back into his body—he was alive! Elijah picked the boy up, carried him downstairs from the loft, and gave him to his mother. "Here's your son," said Elijah, "alive!"

24 The woman said to Elijah, "I see it all now—you are a holy man. When you speak, God speaks—a true word!"

-Mark

chris richardson said...

Steve,
Right on, Right on, Right on!
Very excited about your trip there.
Can't wait until the next posting.
Will be praying for you to experience the Goodness in every imaginable way possible!
Chris (& Sonia)

Terri said...

Hey Dude,

My first week off of work finds me doing all those American, Western Culture things, like you said. I have a list and am going down checking off all that I have accomplished! (Like painting my whole downstairs in the middle of being sick for 4 days). If I was where you are in M. then maybe this would have taken all summer (don't think I could stand that-ha,ha). Anyway, I totally agree. I would much rather have folks over for a BBQ, walk on the street and lead someone to Jesus, drink some ST. Arbucks with folks on the street etc (a thousand things other than paint). We did have 3 young fellows from Ecador put in our carpet Friday and witnessed to them about having a personal relationship with Jesus. The one that spoke English was a Christian but the personal relationship thing seemed foreign to him.

Seriously tho, the Lord is moving in all places for those who are seeking Him.

The healing room training was awesome-the message we've heard in Harrisburg and you are hearing there, brought to Cornerstone! A few people got healed as we "practiced" praying for healing. I started a Bible Study with Eileen on Prophetic Evangelism, DVD's by Patricia King. Had a session from someone from CA visiting on dream interpretation. Had some cool prophetic interpretations for my own.

Got a prophetic word for our church "bereshith" --the Hebrew word for Genesis. Translated as "birthing, new beginnings, initiation of a series of events". I believe that we all are in a time of transition, birthing, new beginnings.

I'm so excited that you are there.
Bring it back. We'll be ready. Who knows, I just might surprise you and hop a plane and visit. Can't wait to walk the streets with you.

Terri E

Tom said...

Hey Boyyyyy!!!
Miss you Steve-o. The place just isn't the same without you- the kitchen is cleaner, but generally the place is emptier! Ha! Boy, can't wait to see your effect on the rest of my family once you return, if you've already got Hannah saying in this blog that she loves u! We'll anxiously await the return of Steve version 2.0! Mickey is trying hard to fill your 3rd floor shoes! Can't wait for these postings- we're so proud of you and miss you tons!
-TLC

Deborah said...

Hi steve! SO GOOD to read your update. I'm trying to remember that God has me here where I am for a reason, and rejoice for you rather than wishing I was there myself :-)
I am looking forward to you coming back and reminding us that our worlds are limited and limiting at times... may He change you profoundly and then use you to change others in equally profound ways!
Bless you!
~DM