Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"Blessed are those who mourn."

I really have not processed the summer the way I am going to in the next few weeks…but I am confident in this: the Bush outreach was the absolute most transforming and best part of the whole experience. Between traveling through the poorest parts of Mozambique, seeing the extreme physical poverty and the lack of the necessities to live a healthy life, I am becoming more broken for losing my life for the gospel. God is the only answer for this country. The government is corrupt…the culture, although beautiful in so many ways, is being trashed by witchcraft and darkness. For instance, at the beginning of adolescence, the boys are raped and circumcised, and the girls are taken for a period of time to be involved in similar “rights of passage.” During one of the outreaches, in a province called Lichinga, there were parties and parades to celebrate the beginning of this time in the children’s lives. Beyond all of this, there are so many that have been left maimed and crippled because of the land mines left from the civil wars. And if you still find a way to be happy despite all of this, I am sure the incredible natural disasters that come will be enough to destroy your spirit. The Holy Given school was all about incarnational love and how to bring the love of God without trying to change the culture of the people whom you are serving. It was being able to see what the gospel actually looks like. We kept hearing, “Love looks like something.” It is not words but actions. God intended for us to be healthy, to be whole, and to know who we are as his creations. One thing God showed me on this trip was to lose my addiction for comfort and how this must be broken if others will be comforted and understand this wholeness that God intends for them through me. I come from a sick culture that teaches you that comfort is God-ordained and we are entitled to it. It is hard to have that conversation with a little boy with worm in the toes, a bloated belly, and who has just seen his parents and friends die in a flood. The message I was hearing while I was in the bush was, “If you want to be my hands and feet in the world, you need my eyes and my heart.” It is true…One day, in the medical tent, as I reached out to touch this one boy, tears started to run down my face and I actually felt like Jesus was touching this boy through me…it was the first time I felt this, and it was better than any physical miracle I have seen. I am continually inspired by those who have given up every right and entitlement for the sake of another persons comfort and healing. It is much what Jesus did for us…he died so we could be whole…and we have the opportunity to be just like him for someone else or even a whole nation. How flippin’ awesome is that!!! Bless you all!!! I Love You. -Steve

8 comments:

Ryan said...

You amaze me! I learn so much just from your blog and can not wait to talk to you in person.

I will join you in losing our lives and our comforts so that Jesus can use us to bring life to others!!!

Praying!

brooklyn said...

Steven,

I've been looking for this said blog of yours and have not located it until now. Finally, I am in the know!

I just want to tell you that you are SUCH an inspiration. You are an amazing person and I so admire what you are doing over there. I've always known you to be such a caring and compassionate person, and there I hope you are truly able to express and share that quality with those who are in desperate need of it. The "rights of passage" sound just awful and it makes me sick to my stomach to think of those poor children being totally vulnerable to such a horrible thing. I'm sure with each positive action you convey, you are doing so much for those children... and everyone else for that matter. I will be praying that through your challenging and trying times, you will stay on the path you have been led to. Stay strong and keep a loving heart.

I love you Steve, as I always have. I hope you are all recovered from your illness and doing well. You will remain in my thoughts and prayers, dear friend. I'll be tuning in to hear more of your travels and spiritual growth. You're amazing!

-Brooke :*)

Emilie Anne Le Blanc said...

Steve,

YOU my brother are stopping for the one, you are the face of love, the voice for the voiceless, God is truely greater in you than he who is in the world, you have shown that Love looks like something, you are the incarnational love of Christ, a Laid down lover, poor in spirit, so the Lamb who was slain would receive the reward for His suffering. YOU my brother are the Gospel and the very beating heart of Jesus.

God keep totally wrecking Steve!!! Fill that cup, let it spill over to the nations, and taste His sweet sweet wine of joy!

Miss seein you in the dirt in Pemba, but i'll see you spattered on the carpet of Life Center. Ahhh I'm so aliiiiveee!!!

Lots of love agora,
Emilie

Lynne said...

Steve, I was praying for your return this morning and this is the Scripture that impressed me.

Proverbs 19:2
It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way.

I'm looking forward to seeing you and hearing your stories of God's glory being revealed!

Love you,
Lynne

Unknown said...

Hi Steve,

Hope u are well!
I have sent you an email!!
It would be great to hear from you at some point.
Keep in touch and it was great meeting you in Pemba!!
God bless, Niro

Dana323 said...

Hey Steve!
Thanks for the link to your blog page. I just read through your lastest post. It sounds like such an amazing experience! It actually brought tears to my eyes (and I don't cry easily). (the part about you touching the child and feeling like it was Jesus)I really would love to do some mission work some day. I just haven't gotten into yet. I would love to do medical missions. I really want to go back to school and do dental hygiene so that I can maybe do mission work with it? Who knows?? Anyway, keep on doing what you're doing! We're cheering you on! Can't wait to hear your stories when you get back! Take care!
Dana*

Deborah said...

Steve, I echo everyone else's comments... I am encouraged, challenged, and broken by your words.
I look forward to your return!
Jesus bless you!!!

Unknown said...

Hey steve, it's been a while since i've had a chance to check your blog. med school is hard! it's hard work..stayin' up late, workin' weekends!! ...hard! anyway man, i am so encouraged by everything that you have shared through your blog. i am continuing to pray for you.

right now i have no money. literally, none. its terrible. but it has been a good experience lately. its giving me a taste of what life is like without comforts. its difficult when you're used to having access to everything you need. i know that this is barely anything compared to what you must be experiencing there. Without money, i can still survive by what i have. but i keep thinking about the people you are encountering who have nothing at all. it is a wonder they survive. you're right; they need God more than anything. the point of me telling you this is that i have been thinking about "entitlements" lately. i feel that its no coincidence that its been on my mind while you are being borken of it. the fact that america lives with such entitlement really saddens me. i wish i didn't have entitlement, but i know i do to some extent. it makes me dislike american culture more. i don't know. i don't mean rant. this is long-winded. i'll keep praying for you more bro. please pray for my brokenness from entitlement if you think of it/have time. love you man. ~mick