Tuesday, July 3, 2007

getting wrecked


I have been asked to a share a little of what I have been learning (per Terri Moss or Theresa--- if you go by her blogger name)…since it is this week I will give you a fresh serving of what I am learning aghora (I am trying to integrate my Portuguese). Rolland spoke yesterday and up until this point, besides Heidi, he has been having the most impact on my faith. His message was simple…There is no striving in the kingdom. Our ministry must flow out of a heart that is overflowing with intimacy and Love for Jesus and out of the joy that comes with being in the Kingdom of God. It seems overly simple, but striving seems to creep in. If I am not trying to impress God, I am trying to convince him to show up through loud and desperate prayers and my fasting. One image he used was of a friendship. Would you like a friend that is constantly trying to convince you to be your friend or one that uses bribes to get you to spend time with them? Since this talk my time with God has been so sweet. I am finding a new trust and faith in the fact that he is my savior and my father and the one who wants to love me. When you begin to realize God loves you like this, it allows you to Love others without criticism or judgment or reservation…because you begin to take on the nature of Love. This is the truth that is doing surgery on my heart…but it is not the only thing that is humbling me. Today we were looking into Isaiah and looking at the suffering servant and what it looks like in missions and cross cultural ministry. The theme was “counting the cost.” We focused on how moving in the power and Love of God does come with tremendous Joy and freedom but it also comes with suffering and persecution…she referenced Heidi and Rolland and herself (Lesley-Ann…the main speaker who has been a missionary for 30 years) to tell a little about the trial faced when you pioneer into dark regions of the world. Every day it is new subject that puts our faces in the dirt asking God for more desire to share Paul’s prayer in Philippians 3, “I want to fellowship in Christ’s sufferings and know the power of the resurrection.” (I do not have a bible but I think that is close) I think I will start the sessions in the dirt from now on to save me the trip. But it is all good…I am drawing nearer to God’s heart and becoming more humbled and childlike by being in this culture and away from home. I thank you all for helping me get here…this is the best experience of my life…and I know everything I am going through will exalt Him. He loves us so much…Receive it! I think it might be a couple of weeks before I can write again…we are having a huge wedding for two of IRIS missionaries on the beach on 7/07/07 which is taking up a lot of free time. The wedding will represent the wedding parable of inviting the poor and the marginalized to the wedding feast. I am excited to see it. For those of you going to the call…awesome!!! I will be praying for it!

5 comments:

Terri said...

I am blown away by all your comments and what the Lord is doing in your life and in Africa. I agree with the "face in the dirt" and the prosperity movement. God doesn't make us prosperous so we can flaunt it (like some preach). We are prosperous so that others will also be without need. What an opportunity we have to feel the joy of giving out of love for the One who gave everything to us. How often we miss this opportunity!! When we were born and when we die we have nothing. When we were growning up, everything we had was given us by our parents and it was ultimately theirs anyway. Why do we think now that what we have is ours to keep. It was all given to us by our generous Heavenly Father. We are to be stewards of His grace.
Keep sending us your thoughts and what you are learning. I love the pictures!
Side note--What do you think of H 2 O ministry (spiritual and physical water on the streets)? Bringing "Heaven 2 Others". Can't wait till you return.
Terri E.

Nikki said...

Hey Steve,
Just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your adventures over there. I am sure you are learning a lot of new things. You and everyone there are in my prayers.
God Bless
Nikki F

Ryan said...

Steve!!!!!!!! Tracy, Tony, Danielle, Pat and I say hi. We are thinking of you and I can't wait to read all your new blogs. Praying for you everyday, hope it is just amazing over there!

Deborah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deborah said...

reading your comments... definitely making me hungry for cross-cultural ministry, for that kind of all-out, laid down, sacrificial service. I just need to remember I have that chance daily, no matter where I am :-)
Praying for you, that your time there will continue to challenge and mold you into the image of God.
btw... the wedding... I think I know some ppl (Joel and Monica Mayeski) who are going out for a wedding there. If you happen to meet them amongst the masses, it would be fun if you said hi for me.
May our Lord sustain you and teach you by His Spirit as only He can.
~D